Grasslands – What Plants and Animals Are Found in Them?
What is a grassland, exactly? In America, we call them prairies. In South America, they’re known as pampas. In Russia and the Ukraine, they’re called steppes. And you’ve probably heard of the African savannah – also a type of grassland.
Grasslands are simply places where there is not enough rain to grow a forest, and too much rain to be a desert. The main plants that grow here are — you guessed it – grasses. Wildflowers also grow, along with the occasional tree.
Fun Facts about Grasslands for Kids
- In northern climates, the grass stays short because these areas have cold winters and dry, hot summers.
- In southern climates, the grass grows very tall because these areas have warm weather and periods of very wet weather followed by dry weather.
- Grasslands harbor many species of life. In Africa, you’ll find lions, elephants, zebras and giraffes living on the grasslands. In America, coyotes, antelope, rabbits and rattlesnakes are common.
- Grasslands are usually flat and have fertile soil. In the U.S., most of our prairies have been turned into farms. America has some of the richest farms in the world.
- Fires on prairies and grasslands are common. After a fire, the grass grows again and comes back even thicker and healthier.
- Prairie: wide, open grassy area
- Wildflowers: flowers that grow wild with no help
- Harbor: provide shelter
- Fertile: rich, full of nutrients
Learn More All About Grasslands
Know more all about grasslands in this video:
A video explaining about grasslands.
Question: How much of the earth is covered in grasslands?
Answer: 25 percent of the earth is grasslands. Much of these grasslands are gone, though, due to farming.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Grasslands info? Take the FREE & fun Grasslands quiz and download FREE Grasslands worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Grassland Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2017. Web. 27 May 2017. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-grasslands/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2017). Grassland Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-grasslands/
Sponsored Links :