Unfortunately, Liberia has endured years of turmoil and civil war. Because of this, the country is impoverished. Many people don’t have jobs. More than half the people cannot read. A lack of electricity and running water is common.
Fun Facts About Liberia for Kids
- Liberia is the only country in Africa with native Africans that is founded by the people of United States.
- The capital city of Liberia is Monrovia.
- Monrovia is also the largest city in Liberia.
- 4.1 million people live in Liberia.
- The country has 43,000 square miles of land.
- The official language in Liberia is English. 29 different African languages are also spoken there.
- Most people are Christian, Islam or belong to a native faith.
- The life expectancy is 45 years.
- Founded: started, organized
- Turmoil: trouble, fighting
- Civil War: a war between people living within one country
- Impoverished: made poor
All About Liberia Video for Kids
Check out this cool video all about Liberia in Africa for kids:
Question: What is Liberia’s political system now?
Answer: When the civil war ended in 2006, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf became Africa’s first elected head of state. The country is attempting to build a democracy.
Map of Liberia
Here’s a map of the country of Liberia and all its cities and villages. Zoom in to get into street level or zoom out to see other countries around Liberia! You can see the terrain, but also see the roads, images of the buildings and even take a 3D tour through the streets of the cities of Liberia, as though you are actually there!
Enjoyed the Easy Earth Science for Kids Website all about Liberia info? Take the FREE & fun all about Liberia quiz and download FREE all about Liberia worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.