Different Types of Burrowers
Many animals live in burrows, or underground dens, but some animals are known for their digging tendencies. Most of these animals, including moles and aardvarks, eat insects, but rabbits eat grasses and plants.
Burrowers have feet or claws that are designed for digging. Give them sand, earth or even rock-hard dirt and they’ll dig away. Burrowers dig holes to make homes and protect themselves from predators. Moles and aardvarks also dig, dig, dig in search of their dinner.
Fun Facts about the Burrowers for Kids
- Moles make a mess in the yard. They dig long tunnels that damage flowers and plants. They also leave piles of soil and holes everywhere.
- Cottontail rabbits live in most parts of the United States. They live in underground burrows. Jack rabbits don’t burrow.
- Aardvarks and anteaters are two different animals. Possibly the most famous aardvark is Mark Brown’s book and television character Arthur.
- Burrows: Underground dens
- Insects: Bugs
- Tunnel: Underground road or path
- Famous: Well-known
Learn More All About the Burrowers
Watch this amazing video all about the burrowers:
A video documentary about animals underground – burrowers.
Question: Do burrowing animals hibernate?
Answer: No. Rabbits and moles live in cold places, but they don’t hibernate. Aardvarks live in Africa where it is warm.
Question: Are burrowing animals dangerous?
Answer: They are generally peaceful, shy animals. However, they sometimes carry diseases and might bite and scratch if you tried to catch them. Leave burrowing animals alone.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about the Burrowers info? Take the FREE & fun all about the Burrowers quiz and download FREE Burrowers worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Burrower Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2020. Web. 26 Jan 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-the-burrowers/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Burrower Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-the-burrowers/
Sponsored Links :