Monastery of the Cave
In the hills of Armenia lies a monastery that has been there for almost 2,000 years. The Monastery of Geghard was a monastery built by Christian monks in the 4th century. Some of the monastery was cut right out of the rock. Other parts were made from cut rock. The monastery is most famous because it held ancient relics, including the sword that pierced Christ’s side and relics of the apostles John and Andrew.
Fun Facts About the Monastery of the Cave for Kids
- Arabs destroyed the monastery in the 9th century. Monks rebuilt it.
- The main portion of the monastery is built in the design of a cross.
- The monastery has a dome.
- The monastery lies in a beautiful valley in the mountains.
- People still come here to visit.
Monastery of the Cave Vocabulary
- Monk: a religious scholar or priest
- Monastery: a large building that houses monks, religious writings and artifacts
- Ancient: old
- Pierce: cut, penetrate
- Relic: valuable possessions
All About the Monastery of the Cave Video for Kids
Watch this awesome Monastery of Geghard video for kids:
Monastery of the Cave Facts Q&A
Question: Where did the monks live?
Answer: The monks lived in small rooms that were cut out of the stone mountain.
Question: Was the monastery comfortable?
Answer: The monastery is very dark inside because it is made of gray rock and there aren’t many windows. It was probably cold much of the year.
Question: Why is the monastery called the Monastery of Geghard?
Answer: The monastery had thus been originally named Ayrivank, meaning “the Monastery of the Cave”. The name commonly used for the monastery today, Geghard, or more fully Geghardavank, which means “the Monastery of the Spear”. The name originates from the spear which had wounded Jesus at the Crucifixion.
Enjoyed the Earth Science for Kids about the Monastery of the Cave info? Take the FREE & fun all about the Monastery of the Cave quiz and download FREE Monastery of the Cave worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Monastery of the Cave Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jun 2020. Web. 02 Jun 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-the-monastery-of-the-cave/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Monastery of the Cave Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-the-monastery-of-the-cave/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :