Senegal won its independence from France in 1960. For 40 years, it was a Socialist country, but held democratic elections in 2000. Although poor, Senegal is one of the most politically stable countries in Africa. Many Senegalese people have moved to other countries. They send money home to Senegal to help their families.
Fun Facts About Senegal for Kids
- The capital city of Senegal is Dakar.
- 12.8 million people live in Senegal.
- The country has 75,749 square miles of land.
- The official language of Senegal is French but most people still speaks their own ethnic language.
- Most people here are Muslim.
- The life expectancy in Senegal is 63 years.
- 39 percent of adults can read.
- Savannah: grassland
- Democratic: citizens are given a voice and vote
- Stable: calm, predictable
All About Senegal Video for Kids
Watch this awesome video for kids on Senegal:
Question: What are the chief industries in Senegal?
Answer: Many people earn a living as fishermen. Other industries include phosphate mining and manufacturing.
Map of Senegal
Here’s a map of the country of Senegal and all its cities and villages. Zoom in to get into street level or zoom out to see other countries around Senegal! You can see the terrain, but also see the roads, images of the buildings and even take a 3D tour through the streets of the cities of Senegal, as though you are actually there!
Enjoyed the Earth Science for Kids all about Senegal info? Take the FREE & fun all about Senegal quiz and download FREE all about Senegal worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Senegal Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Feb 2018. Web. 20 Feb 2018. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-senegal/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Senegal Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-senegal/
Sponsored Links :