Every country and region has its own favorite foods. Most of these foods are based on what grows in an area. People living in countries near the sea, for example, usually love fish. Hungary has warm weather and good soil. People grow lots of different fruits and vegetables here. There are also sheep and cattle. Paprika is a spicy pepper grown in Hungary. It is usually dried and ground into a powder.
If you want to know what a traditional Hungarian dish tastes like, ask your parents to help you make this delicious stew. Here’s a recipe for Hungarian Goulash:
Ingredients for Hungarian Goulash
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 pound stew meat
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cups water
- ¼ cup paprika
- 2 teaspoons marjoram
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
Procedure for Cooking Hungarian Goulash
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the beef and cook until its brown on all sides. Salt and pepper it well. Add the onions and garlic, and cook them until they’re soft. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for one hour, or until the meat and vegetables are very tender. Serve with crusty bread.
Fun Facts About Hungarian Goulash for Kids
- Goulash is the national dish of Hungary and is also a symbol of Hungary.
- Goulash originates from the Hungarian word “gulyas”. The word “gulyas” means “herdsman” so goulash is a meat dish cooked up by herdsmen.
- It is a rich, red stew flavored with beef, vegetables, onions, garlic and of course, paprika.
- There are about nine different variations of traditional Hungarian goulash. One of which is even called Fake Goulash.
- Originating within the historical Hungarian ethnic area, goulash is also a popular meal in Central Europe, Scandinavia and Southern Europe.
- Several countries have their own versions of goulash such as Albania, Austria, Germany, Italy and even the United States.
- In Kosovo they serve goulash with mashed potato.
- Wild boar meat is used as an option in German goulash.
- Places in Italy serve goulash as their regular Sunday dinner.
Hungarian Goulash Vocabulary
- Originate: Bring into existence; to initiate
- Herdsmen: People who tend livestock
- National: Having to do with a country
- Variation: A partial change in the form of a thing
- Option: A choice that can be made
All About Hungarian Goulash Video for Kids
Here’s the best kids Hungarian Goulash video you can watch right now to learn more all about Hungarian Goulash:
A video all about Hungarian Goulash and how to cook the traditional dish.
Hungarian Goulash Q&A
Question: If goulash is a dish herdsmen made in the fields how did it become so popular?
Answer: Herdsmen did get to go home every now and then. When they did they shared what they made with their families. People visit and people talk and they tend to share the things they like. If you like a food don’t you tell your friends about it?
Question: Why is paprika a standard ingredient in goulash?
Answer: Paprika is readily available in Hungary. Because of that it is used in many popular dishes.
Enjoyed the Easy Earth Science for Kids all about Hungarian Goulash info? Take the FREE & fun quiz all about Hungarian Goulash and download FREE all about Hungarian Goulash worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Hungarian Goulash Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Sep 2019. Web. 21 Sep 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-hungarian-goulash/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Hungarian Goulash Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-hungarian-goulash/
Sponsored Links :