Hubble Space Telescope Video for Kids
Hubble Space Telescope
The HST was launched on April 24, 1990. Here, HST stands for Hubble Space Telescope. This telescope was named after renowned American astronomer Edwin Hubble who provided evidence for the occurrence of the Big Bang theory. The Hubble Space Telescope weighs around 11 tonnes and is 43 feet in length. It uses only 2800 watts of power. This power is provided by a couple of solar panels. This telescope was launched into low-earth orbit.
Quick Facts: –
- The Hubble Space Telescope is the first large, space-based optical telescope of the world.
- It is a reflecting telescope because it captures images by using mirrors.
- The HST’s travelling speed is about 5 miles per second.
- This telescope orbits about 353 miles above earth.
- Till now, Hubble Space Telescope has made more than 1.2 million observations that include several comets, black holes and planets.
- This telescope does not travel to stars, galaxies or planets. It only captures their images.
- Hubble telescope is different from other telescopes on earth because it flies high above the earth. It has a better view of objects of space as compared to other telescopes on the earth.
- The cameras installed in this telescope can see ultraviolet light, infrared light and ultraviolet light. These cameras only take black and white pictures. Experts add different colours to those pictures later.
- After taking pictures of different objects, it uses radio waves to send them through the air back to the earth.
- It is an unmanned satellite and is controlled from the Earth.
- Each month, this observatory generates about 350 gigabytes of data.
- The Hubble Space Telescope can observe objects that are far away but it cannot observe a few nearby objects like Sun, Mercury etc.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about Hubble Space Telescope for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2019. Web. 16 Jul 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/hubble-space-telescope-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts about Hubble Space Telescope for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/hubble-space-telescope-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :